Ad Server vs. Ad NetworkIn an online world with increased reliance on digital technologies, the terms "ad server" and "ad network" are frequently heard. However, not many people know the key differences between these two terms. There is a fair bit of confusion. This write-up is an attempt to briefly explain as to what ad server and ad network exactly are so that one will easily be able to differentiate between the two terms.
Ad ServerAd server refers to the technology that enables advertisers to put their ads on specific websites and enable publishers to manage the ads appropriately. The following are some of the primary features of a typical ad server:
- Ad servers are categorized into two varieties: local servers and remote servers. When the publisher installs and runs the ad serving software on their own servers, that is a local ad server. On the other hand, a remote ad server means a third-party vendor hosts and operates off-site ad servers for multiple publishers and advertisers
- Publishers sign into their ad server account, define the ad placements on their site and get ad tags for those placements
- An ad server displays ads in the form of images, textual content, videos, and audios
- It keeps track of numerous aspects of interaction between the user and the ad such as the total number of clicks and views, the page location, the user’s location, browser and so on
- Using the ad metrics, the ad server prepares analytical reports, which assist the advertisers in improving and tailoring their ads
Ad NetworkThe term “ad network” and “ad exchange” is broader than “ad server”, in the sense that the former speaks of a company that does more than just ad serving. An ad network uses an ad server for its core technology infrastructure, which displays and manages ads of multiple publishers and sellers. However, they also perform non-technical tasks such as buying and selling advertising directly. Below are a few salient aspects of ad networks:
- Ad network uses economy of scaling by combines ad inventories from multiple publishers and make them available to buying or bidding by multiple advertisers and media buying agencies
- Each publisher of a given ad network is given an adserver’s ad tag to put into their website to display ads from that specific ad network
- Each publisher and advertiser is provided a unique login into its ad server to view reports and manages their ad campaigns and ad placements
- Ad networks use different business and pricing models. Some advertisers need to pay for every instance of display of their ad, regardless of whether or not the users have taken further action. That model is CPM or pay per view/impression. In the same way, you also have networks where the payment is made only when users engage with ads, through clicks, registration, and buying, etc.
- The most powerful ad networks empower advertisers with actionable analytics and insights to help convert prospective clients into actual customers. An increased ROI means retaining existing clients while gaining new clients
Posted in AdServer for Ad Network AdServer for Publisher Selling Ads Directly by John Z June 15, 2020
- Benefits of an ad server for your online business
"Ad serving technology is one of the most important technologies of the online advertising world for several reasons. An ad server places ads on websites by performing three important related functions: " More
- What is an ad server?
"In short, an ad server, or adserver, is a software solution that helps publishers, advertisers, ad agencies, and ad networks, manage their advertising campaigns. The ad serving software uses its ad tag, or ad code, to display the programmed online advertisements on the selected websites, blogs, apps. " More
- Benefits of ad servers to publishers
"All websites with advertisements use ad servers extensively to manage these ads and their advertisers. In case you own one or more online properties, you may find advertisers want to display their ads on your websites and that is a great way to monetize them. " More
- Serving up a powerful video ad campaign
- Ad serving tips for restaurants and hotels during the pandemic
- What is responsible advertising?
- Ad serving in video games
- Five tips when choosing an ad server
- Ad serving in hotels and resorts
- Advertise to video gamers
- Benefits of ad servers to publishers