What are the protections against click fraud?Our ad server employs many techniques to prevent false and invalid clicks to ensure accurate reporting. Some of them are listed in this article while some are confidential to prevent violators from creating a trick/hack to bypass these measures. The same techniques are also used to ensure impressions are recorded accurately.
Known BotsBy default, our ad serving engine blocks known bots, spiders and crawlers. We maintain and update a list of user-agent strings and IP addresses of known bots, web spiders and crawling software. You can change this setting from menu "My Account / Profile" under tab "Settings".
Click AuthenticationEach click is checked against a unique token to ensure it is from a valid source. Any click without a valid token will not be recorded.
Click MonitoringOur click monitoring system checks all incoming clicks and uses sophisticated algorithms to detect unusual patterns. Possible invalid clicks and impressions are automatically flagged and reported to our engineers for analysis and investigation. When a source is confirmed, it is added to the blocked list.
Ad RestrictionsYou can apply different ad restrictions and targeting to protect against fraudulent activities. The same restrictions that allow or prevent visitors from viewing ads will also apply to clicks.
For example: If a click is restricted (eg: "Do not show the ad to visitors in China") and a visitor from China tries to click that ad, they will see an error message (eg: "This ad is restricted and no click was recorded") instead of getting redirected to the advertiser's website.
Blocking or Excluding IP AddressesYou can block or exclude specific IP addresses, or IP ranges from viewing and clicking on your ads. There are two ways: it can be applied as a restriction onto the ad, group, zone or campaign. Or it can be an account-wide policy, you can edit the block/exclusion list in your account profile.
- Keep your contact email up-to-date to receive our automated alerts on invalid clicks
- Monitor the click reports
- Apply suitable geo-targeting to limit visitors from the right countries, states, or cities
- Set a maximum quota on daily/monthly clicks so that someone with an automated tool cannot inflate clicks over a certain limit even if you do not have time to monitor
- Apply frequency capping and/or time capping to limit any visitor from seeing or clicking the same ad too often
Monitoring your own AccountIt is recommended that you know how to monitor your own account for these malicious activities. There are several reports that can help you reveal potential click frauds:
- Frequent Click IPs: lists all IPs with multiple clicks to your ads. You can access this reports from menu Reports / Advanced. For certain regions, your visitors could come from a few IP addresses, which are the central proxy servers for that Internet provider. For other cases, your ads are targeted by a third party using sophisticated, automated tools or manual effort, with the purpose to inflate clicks. Please check if you recognize these IPs. If they are not respectable or known ISP's proxies and not your office's IPs, you should block them from generating more clicks.
- Unique/Gross Click: reveals the number of duplicated clicks. You can access this reports from menu Reports / Basics. A low Unique/Gross percentage means a high number of repeated clicks, which could mean the clicks were artificially inflated by automated tools.
- Detailed Clicks: displays a limited number of detailed click records. It shows more information about the visitors who clicked on the ad. You can access this reports from menu Reports / Visitors / Detailed Clicks.
Other Articles in Overview
- How can I manage payments between publishers and advertisers?
- How do I tag ad landing page URLs for Google Analytics?
- How does an advertiser renew an existing ad?
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
- Blocking and Excluding IP Addresses
"To control ad serving and to fight ad fraud, you can add or remove IPs from these lists: Exclude List ..."
- Gross Click and Unique Click
"Similar to impressions, a raw/gross click is counted every time a visitor clicks on the ad. It includes duplications and ..."
- Visitor Report - Spiders/Bots
"This report contains information about web spiders, bots or crawlers that accessed your web pages and ads. These agents are ..."
- How accurate is ad tracking and reporting?
"Each impression, click and conversion is tracked via a unique link. Data is recorded immediately into our data warehouse and ..."
- Click-Through Rate (CTR)
"CTR measures the effectiveness of an advertisement. It is calculated using the following formula that involves the number of clicks ..."