What are interstitial ads?Interstitial ads are full-page ads that appears before the destined webpage. They can be further classified as prestitial ads or interstitial ads. A prestitial ad (splash ad, welcome ad) displays before the homepage and an interstitial ad displays between two content pages. Both types work the same way. With AdSpeed, you can display any ad or zone as an interstitial ad.
How it Works
- You paste the interstitial ad tag into the target page
- When a visitor goes to target page, he/she sees a full page with your ad first before seeing the actual page content
- The interstitial ad has a link to skip the ad and a countdown message before the ad closes and redirects the visitor back to the original content page. If the visitor clicks on this ad, a new window will open displaying the landing page of the advertiser's website and will therefore not interfere with the navigation within your website.
- After viewing the ad, or clicking on the "Skip This Ad" button, the visitor resumes to view the original web page
Setup an interstitial adYou can display any ad or zone (pool of multiple ads) as an interstitial ad.
First, create an ad as usual:
- Sign into your account, follow the menu Ads / Create a New Ad.
- Enter the new ad's information.
- If you have multiple ads, create and link them to a zone.
Then get the ad tag for this interstitial ad:
- Sign into your account, follow the menu Ads/All
- Click on the ad name or the zone name
- Click on the Ad Tag tab, click the Interstitial tab
- Copy the HTML code and paste it to the top of the web page where you want to serve the interstitial ad.
Ad Tag SettingsThere are several settings you can change to make the interstitial ad more suitable for your website:
- Template/Theme sets the ad template that you want to use when displaying the ad.
- Do not display ad again in a given time period. To avoid interrupting visitors every time they view the web page, you can set the time span within which no interstitial ad will be shown. It can range from 5 seconds to 1 day, or you can choose your own number of seconds.
- Automatically close after a given time period. This feature automatically redirects the visitor back to the original web page after a specified number of seconds. If you want the visitor to manually click the Skip This Ad link to continue, set this to Disabled.
- Start ad after a given time period. You can set a delay before the interstitial ad begins to show. "Immediately at placement" begins switching to the interstitial ad wherever you place the ad tag. If you place the code near the bottom, it starts later. If you place it near the top, it starts sooner. The default setting "Page finishes loading" shows the interstitial ad as soon as the page finishes loading.
- Hide all error messages (silent error) is an option to not display any ad error message. It is useful when you do not always have an available/active interstitial ad campaign.
See alsoHere is another implementation of an interstitial ad (also called: popup ad, page-takeover ad, prestitial ad, overlay ad) that uses jQuery Mobile. The ad has a Close button at the corner and it is responsive on all devices, including mobile devices. Demo mobile interstitial ad
Other Articles in Ad Tag
This section describes the ad tag (serving code) with basic and advanced settings. It includes common ad serving setup instructions and answers frequently asked questions when integrating the ad tag into your site, blog or app.
- Can I have ads refresh automatically without a page reload?
- How can I avoid duplicate ads on the same page?
- How can I combine multiple ads in the same placement?
- How can I defer ads until after the page has finished loading?
- How can I display an ad only when it is visible on screen?
- How can I mix ad dimensions or mix banners with text-link ads?
- How can I put ads into my blog/website?
- How can I serve multiple ad dimensions in the same place?
- How can I serve multiple zones with a single server request?
- How can I support click tracking for external ad servers?
- How can I turn off ad serving error messages?
- How do I add current timestamp into the serving code?
- How do I display mobile ads using Android WebView?
- How do I integrate AdSpeed mobile ad serving API?
- How do I make ads responsive on mobile devices?
- How do I pass custom data and variables into the ad?
- How do I set up advertising on WordPress?
- How do I setup a companion ad in video ad serving?
- How do I setup a passback ad tag?
- Should I use protocol-relative URLs in ad tags?
- What are custom ad serving settings and variables?
- What are different formats of serving code?
- What are different types of ad tag?
- What are the effects of ad blocking software?
- What is the pop-up and pop-under ad tag?
- What is the serving code?
- What is WMODE for SWF ads? How can I change it?
- Where is the publisher-side file for iframe busting?
- Why doesn't the provided HTML serving code work?
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
- Mobile Interstitial Ad
"This is an ad template for a mobile interstitial ad. The user can click on a Close button to make ..."
- Customize the interstitial ad template
"You can change the look and layout for the container page of interstitial ads. This feature requires a White Label ..."
- jQuery Popup Ad
"This is an ad template for a popup ad (also called a lightbox ad or an overlay ad). The user ..."
- Mobile In-App Interstitial Ad with MRAID
"MRAID (Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definitions) is a common API that helps mobile ad creators and native mobile app ..."