What are interstitial ads?
Interstitial ads are full-page ads that appears before the destined webpage. They can be further classified as prestitial ads or interstitial ads. A prestitial ad (splash ad, welcome ad) displays before the homepage and an interstitial ad displays between two content pages. Both types work the same way. With AdSpeed, you can display any ad
as an interstitial ad.
How it Works
- You paste the interstitial ad tag into the target page
- When a visitor goes to target page, he/she sees a full page with your ad first before seeing the actual page content
- The interstitial ad has a link to skip the ad and a countdown message before the ad closes and redirects the visitor back to the original content page. If the visitor clicks on this ad, a new window will open displaying the landing page of the advertiser's website and will therefore not interfere with the navigation within your website.
- After viewing the ad, or clicking on the "Skip This Ad" button, the visitor resumes to view the original web page
With the private label add-on
, you can customize the template
for interstitial ads with your own text, language, logo or images.
Setup an interstitial ad
You can display any ad
(pool of multiple ads) as an interstitial ad.
First, create an ad as usual:
- Sign into your account, follow the menu Ads / Create a New Ad.
- Enter the new ad's information.
- If you have multiple ads, create and link them to a zone.
Then get the ad tag for this interstitial ad:
- Sign into your account, follow the menu Ads/All
- Click on the ad name or the zone name
- Click on the Ad Tag tab, click the Interstitial tab
- Copy the HTML code and paste it to the top of the web page where you want to
serve the interstitial ad.
Ad Tag Settings
There are several settings you can change to make the interstitial ad more suitable for your website:
- Template/Theme sets the ad template that you want to use when displaying the ad.
- Do not display ad again in a given time period. To avoid interrupting visitors every time they view the web page, you can set the time span within which no interstitial ad will be shown. It can range from 5 seconds to 1 day, or you can choose your own number of seconds.
- Automatically close after a given time period. This feature automatically redirects the visitor back to the original web page after a specified number of seconds. If you want the visitor to manually click the Skip This Ad link to continue, set this to Disabled.
- Start ad after a given time period. You can set a delay before the interstitial ad begins to show. "Immediately at placement" begins switching to the interstitial ad wherever you place the ad tag. If you place the code near the bottom, it starts later. If you place it near the top, it starts sooner. The default setting "Page finishes loading" shows the interstitial ad as soon as the page finishes loading.
- Hide all error messages (silent error) is an option to not display any ad error message. It is useful when you do not always have an available/active interstitial ad campaign.
Here is another implementation of an interstitial ad (also called: popup ad, page-takeover ad, prestitial ad, overlay ad) that uses jQuery Mobile. The ad has a Close button at the corner and it is responsive on all devices, including mobile devices. Demo mobile interstitial ad
Other Articles in Serving Code
This section describes the serving code (ad tag) with basic and advanced settings. It also includes common ad setup instructions and answers frequently asked questions.
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
I enjoy and appreciate ad-rotator.
Thank you for your quick response.