What are the effects of ad blocking software?Ad blocking software is designed to block ads served by many ad servers, including AdSpeed Ad Server. Therefore, we will not be able to serve ads and record impressions/clicks to visitors who enable ad blocker on their computers. Impressions and clicks reported in your account do not include these visitors since no ads were served to these visitors.
Reporting DiscrepanciesAd blocking is one of the most common reasons for ad metric discrepancies. For example, analytics software (like Google Analytics) might report a higher view count because they are often not blocked by the ad blocker while all popular ad servers are on the ad blocker's list.
Percentage of Visitors with Ad Blocking SoftwareThe ad blocking rate is not the same across websites. It depends on a number of factors, including demographics, traffic sources and your site itself. In order to measure the number of visitors with ad blocker that visit your site, you can setup a comparison test between a native pixel/image that does not get blocked and a pixel ad served by AdSpeed that is likely to be blocked by the ad blocker. Put both pixels (one do not get blocked and one served by AdSpeed) on your homepage and compare the gross impressions/hits between them to figure out the percentage of visitors with ad blocker. For the native pixel, you can use your web analytics software to count the number of hits. For the ad in AdSpeed, you can see its impression report.
Bypassing Ad BlockersAlthough there are some technical tricks to bypass ad blockers, it is not a sustainable solution as ad blockers update their algorithms and block lists frequently. More important, we strongly believe the visitor's preference and decision should be honored. Therefore, we choose not to implement these technical tricks to bypass the ad blockers.
Otherwise, advertising only annoys your visitors more and they might have an overall negative feeling about your website and your advertisers. If ad blocking significantly affects your revenue, you should find a more cooperative and sustainable approach that works for both your visitors and your advertisers. Depending on your preference and situation, you can let your visitors know that your business depends on advertising revenue and ask your loyal visitors to disable the ad blocker specifically for your site or donate a small amount if they choose not to view ads.
Ad Blocking MethodsThere are different methods utilized by ad blockers: some resolve the ad server's known IP addresses or hostnames to a local/private IP (127.0.0.1), others remove/strip the IMG tag before displaying the page to end-users (Norton Personal Security/Firewall). If you use a private brand, some hostname-based ad blockers might not recognize your own ad serving sub-domain as a known ad server and therefore allow ads to be served.
Partial Ad BlockingAlso there are certain browser's add-ons and plugins that act as a partial ad blocker. The original ads are replaced with other contents (images, widgets, apps, or their own ads). Some of these plugins include: OverApps, Add-Art, PWS Toolbar. This approach can cause confusion for the website owner and their advertisers who see something else instead of the expected advertisement.
Other Articles in Ad Tag
- Accelerated Mobile Pages Project - AMP Ad Tag
- Can I have ads refresh automatically without a page reload?
- How can I avoid duplicate ads on the same page?
- How can I combine multiple ads in the same placement?
- How can I defer ads until after the page has finished loading?
- How can I display an ad only when it is visible on screen?
- How can I measure ad viewability?
- How can I mix ad dimensions or mix banners with text-link ads?
- How can I put ads into my blog/website?
- How can I serve multiple ad dimensions in the same place?
- How can I serve multiple zones with a single server request?
- How can I support click tracking for external ad servers?
- How can I turn off ad serving error messages?
- How do I add current timestamp into the serving code?
- How do I display mobile ads using Android WebView?
- How do I integrate AdSpeed mobile ad serving API?
- How do I make ads responsive on mobile devices?
- How do I pass custom data and variables into the ad?
- How do I set up advertising on WordPress?
- How do I setup a companion ad in video ad serving?
- How do I setup a passback ad tag?
- How do I switch to secure SSL/https ad serving?
- Should I use protocol-relative URLs in ad tags?
- What are custom ad serving settings and variables?
- What are different formats of serving code?
- What are different types of ad tag?
- What are interstitial ads?
- What is the pop-up and pop-under ad tag?
- What is the serving code or ad tag?
- What is WMODE for SWF ads? How can I change it?
- Where is the publisher-side file for iframe busting?
- Why doesn't the provided HTML serving code work?
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
- What is the pop-up and pop-under ad tag?
"Pop-up ad displays as a new window in front of the current page so visitors will see it immediately. Pop-under ..."
- Ad Blocker Detection
"Ad blockers, like AdBlock or AdBlockPlus, works with a block list of URLs and patterns. By knowing how they work, ..."in Ad Tools
- How accurate is ad tracking and reporting?
"Each impression, click and conversion is tracked via a unique link. Data is recorded immediately into our data warehouse and ..."
- Blocking and Excluding IP Addresses
"To control ad serving and to fight ad fraud, you can add or remove IPs from these lists: Exclude List ..."
- How do I tag ad landing page URLs for Google Analytics?
"Advertisers who use a web analytics software for their website can tag click URLs for their ads in order to ..."