Competitive & Companion PositioningCompetitive positioning prevents a certain ad from showing on the same page with another ad. Companion positioning, or roadblocking, tries to show 2 different ads together on the same page. The two ads should be linked by a companion/competitive positioning restriction. Other terms include tandem ad serving, tandem creatives, roadblocks, and site takeovers.
- Click on an ad name
- Select "Restrictions" tab, click "Add"
- Choose the type to be "Companion/Competitive Positioning"
- Choose the other ad that you want to show on the same page (companion), or don't want to show on the same page (competitive)
Multiple AdsIf you have multiple ads and do not want them to appear on the same page, you can apply competitive restrictions to the multiple ad pairs. For your convenience and to save you time, you can link them to one group, select tab "Restrictions \ Ad Restrictions" and click on "Apply competitive positioning to all active ads in this group". This tool will add competitive restrictions to all ads within the group so that only one ad in this group can be displayed per page view.
Ad Tag RequirementFor competitive and companion positioning restriction to work, you need to apply the restriction to the ads in our system first, then use one of the following options for the ad tag:
- Option 1 (recommended): Single-ad-call ad tag to display multiple ad placements with one request to the ad server. This method is recommended for the best performance. If you use this option, you do not need to set the spot number (option 2) when generating the ad tag.
Full-CompanionFull companion means all ads on a page must be of the same type: either all companion ads or all non-companion ads. This allows the reliable display of companion ads and avoids mixing, or skipping, complementary ads. Thus, you would need to verify the restrictions to have enough companion and non-companion ads to go together on a single page. Full companion is enabled by default. To disable full companion requirement and enable partial companion, please contact us for instructions.
Other Articles in Ad Serving
Features of our ad server that display ads to your viewers, record ad metrics like impressions and clicks.
- Ad Formats and Ad Dimensions
- Ad Optimization
- Ad Tag and Serving Code
- Ad Targeting
- Ad Tracking
- Default and Secondary Zone
- Email Ad Serving
- Mobile Ad Serving
- Native Ad Serving
- Priority in Serving Frequency
- Secure Ad Serving with SSL
- Text Link Ads
- Video Ad Serving
- Zone Targeting and Campaign Targeting
Cannot find an answer for your question? Ask our Customer Care team
- Companion & Competitive Positioning
"Competitive positioning prevents a certain ad from showing on the same page with another ad. Companion positioning, or roadblocking, tries ..."
- How do I setup a companion ad in video ad serving?
"A Companion ad runs along with a video ad (pre-roll, mid-roll or post-roll) to provide a more integrated experience for ..."
- How can I avoid duplicate ads on the same page?
"A single web page can have multiple advertising ad placements. For example, three 100x100 buttons display next to each other ..."
- Restrictions for an ad, zone, campaign or group
"Restrictions can be applied to any ad, zone, campaign or group to target a specific audience. For example: Ad "Test123" ..."